Skip to main content

A Little Birdie Shower


I am so in love with this little girl, I mean how could you not be? Look how adorable she is? I may be a little bias, but my niece is the cutest in the world. Not only is she the cutest, she is also quite possibly the most spoiled little girls in the world.  And has been even before she was born. 

I've been meaning to post pictures of the shower I hosted for my little sister way back at the beginning of March, but hey, life happens. 

The nursery is decorated in little birds, and my sister had asked me to make a couple things she had found on Pinterest for her, so I figured I would just tag team and couple the theme of the shower with the theme of the nursery. That way everything could be reused and nothing went into the garbage. 

I made 4 different invites, but de decided in this one to send out. How cute and classy is it? Love. 



Baby Girl has a huge family! So we knew we needed to host the shower at the church. Our family events usually take place in the nursery but I wanted to serve a lite lunch because Little Sis had gestational diabetes so we couldn't waste carbs. Instead, I decided to host it in the gym so everyone could sit at tables. I borrowed bird cages and collected little birds for the center pieces, and reused burlap and other decorations I had from my wedding.


 For the backdrop of the food table I got shower curtains from Amazon, and had my dad build a support frame to hold up the curtains. He used pieces from a backyard shade canopy and cinder blocks. That Guy's got talent. 


Little Sis loved salad during her pregnancy, so a salad bar was the obvious choice. For toppings we had ham and chicken (pre cut) from Costco, boiled eggs, cheese, tomatoes, onions, edemame, avocado, sunflower seeds, and cottege cheese. We used store bought salad dressing as well as made the copycat Cafe Rio dressing found HERE

I don't think you can host a party without sugar, so I made Sally's Baking Addiction White Wedding Cupcakes as well. I made mini ones so that Little Sis could have a bite. They were so good! The only food item we ran out of. 



As our guests entered I had a "sign in" table with pens and envelopes asking for the to self address their own envelope to help Little Sis in getting thank you cards out. Also on the table, and the backdrop, were these cute birds, and my "A- you're adorable" sign (so cute!!). 



Our guests were a little older and we have learned in showers past, games are not loved by them, so I chose to keep it tame. I put a "Wishes For Baby" sheet (I got from chickabug) at every seat and had them all fill one out. While we were eating everyone was invited to share their wishes, then we opened gifts. 

This was one of the most stress free events I've hosted. Mama took care of the food, which costed a lot for 50 people, but let's just say we spent about $4 a person. The backdrop/shower curtains were $7 each with free shipping with Prime. I got 4, and there were 4 of us who needed new shower curtains after the shower, so the cost offset. The table cloths were $1 each at the dollar store, which was easy cleanup because no one was attached.  We used all white dishes I already had from my own kitchen and crystal dishes from the kitchens of our family members. The birdcages belonged to me, little Sis, and a dear friend (AKA a life saver! Hers are the cute ones), and the filling in the cages was $1 from the dollar store. 

In all, the shower costed less than $5 per guest, and almost every item we used is now being used either in the nursery or in someone else's home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Used All the Black Crayon?

Guys, I am used to about 14 views each post. That's it (which is weird, because I post every blog link to my family's Facebook group and there are 40 of us in there... Thanks guys!). I was not expecting that many hits on one post, but I got it, and it has sparked a lot of conversation that I feel to be very productive. I have been so honored by the respect I have been given from those who’s opinions differ from mine, and the dialogue we have been able to have on the matter of race in today's society. Some of the best conversations have come from the, "But why?" question. But why is that offensive? On Facebook I shared this Vox link , so I won't get into that, but I do want to take some time to talk about taking offense. Life is a collection of experience. After one is written into our book, the next experience will be affected because of it. In kindergarten, I had a true Corrina, Corrina experience in class, when someone asked, "Who used all

PSA: You Didn't Win Halloween & Neither Did I

Last night my social media feed was filled with photos of friends attending their weekend parties in their Halloween costumes. There were a couple families and friend groups who were the cast of Napoleon Dynamite, a hilarious couple who went as their dogs, Curious George and the man in the Yellow Suite, and even Tess and Emily Tyler (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen from Billboard Dad). People are so creative when it comes to Halloween costumes! I am so not! But then I saw a couple’s costume I was so unbelievable uncomfortable with. alloween It was on Snapchat. Two people, one had painted himself brown to depict a character, a “hero” from a TV show we all watched in high school. Not just face painted, but arms, neck, chest. Then they added the chains. This, to that couple was a costume, but this also has a name, and that name is “blackface”. Minstrel shows started in the mid to late 19 th century, where white actors would paint their face to depict blacks on stage. The acto

CATCHUP!

I am sure you have all been missing me so I decided I would real quick catch you up in my life with some pictures and captions... Ready GO!        Got sick and drank a lot of sprite...                                     ****** Went on lots of road trips! But me being the 3 year old I am couldn't sit still so Christian loaded the iPod with lots and lots of movies!!! I love movies in the car! It was our buddy's birthday recently and he decided for his big 21 he wanted to go to the zoo in SLC! We loved the idea!   Got to visit my brother Ean-- is is doing better!!! YAY! Maybe because CHOCOLATE cures all...  And when I say Chocolate... I mean Chocolate!  (I also made him cookies but they were still in the oven)  and DUH I ate delicious food.  Realized I didnt have turquoises nail polish  So I got some... and 4 other colors!!!  Woke up with this in my bed... and this all over my