Skip to main content

Day 05 - A picture of your favorite memory.

I was so excited when Pam Peck asked me if I wanted to go to Washington D.C. and be present at the Presidential Inauguration. We didn't know who would be President quite yet, but I HAD to be there. My parents were great at supporting me in it and helped pay the way for me to attend. And there it was Barack Obama would be the one standing up there.
The morning of the inauguration was so exciting. We woke up SOOOO early and stood in a tunnel for HOURS with a bajillion people packed into it. I never again want to be standing in a under ground tunnel. As we got closer and closer to the gates, people started getting really rough, and they closed our gate. I was really upset, but then they reopened it. WHOOPIE!!!! Half of our group got in before they had to close it again due to security reasons and not being able to check everyone's belongings and tickets. I didn't get in.
As we stood outside the gate wondering what to do next an older man walked by us with a hand held TV. He didn't have tickets but wanted to be as close as possible when this all happened. Another man was on the phone with his wife across the country, playing it on the speaker. It was such an amazing experience to sit with all these people and listen to this historical moment when just moments ago I had been locked out.
I honestly would not have had it any other way that to have experienced the inauguration under a tree in Washington D.C. with complete strangers giving all we had to that we could all say, "I was there."

Comments

AggieMay said…
Sounds like it was cool. I watched it on TV like most of the nation. Very exciting you got to be there.

And thanks for updating the blog. :)
Julie said…
I'm sorry if Maggie makes you cry, but I'm really enjoying your April blog posts. Don't stop.
Chris said…
Sare that makes me happy just reading it. That's so cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Who Used All the Black Crayon?

Guys, I am used to about 14 views each post. That's it (which is weird, because I post every blog link to my family's Facebook group and there are 40 of us in there... Thanks guys!). I was not expecting that many hits on one post, but I got it, and it has sparked a lot of conversation that I feel to be very productive. I have been so honored by the respect I have been given from those who’s opinions differ from mine, and the dialogue we have been able to have on the matter of race in today's society. Some of the best conversations have come from the, "But why?" question. But why is that offensive? On Facebook I shared this Vox link , so I won't get into that, but I do want to take some time to talk about taking offense. Life is a collection of experience. After one is written into our book, the next experience will be affected because of it. In kindergarten, I had a true Corrina, Corrina experience in class, when someone asked, "Who used all

PSA: You Didn't Win Halloween & Neither Did I

Last night my social media feed was filled with photos of friends attending their weekend parties in their Halloween costumes. There were a couple families and friend groups who were the cast of Napoleon Dynamite, a hilarious couple who went as their dogs, Curious George and the man in the Yellow Suite, and even Tess and Emily Tyler (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen from Billboard Dad). People are so creative when it comes to Halloween costumes! I am so not! But then I saw a couple’s costume I was so unbelievable uncomfortable with. alloween It was on Snapchat. Two people, one had painted himself brown to depict a character, a “hero” from a TV show we all watched in high school. Not just face painted, but arms, neck, chest. Then they added the chains. This, to that couple was a costume, but this also has a name, and that name is “blackface”. Minstrel shows started in the mid to late 19 th century, where white actors would paint their face to depict blacks on stage. The acto

VIDEO number 1!!

i know you all (that's pretty much just you Megan) are soooo excited to see this video! it is the best! PICTURE DAY haha... so he is just funny. he kinda talks in circles like me.. AND I LOVE WHEN HE FALLS OUT OF THE CHAIR! and that boy in his class? yeah he's just stupid! it's amazing!