Skip to main content

CYG: Mourning Ritual

Day 2: Mourning Ritual

I have always thought my life should be a movie, even when I was little. I was SO dramatic as a child (my family is reading this now thinking, “You still are…”). Now, in my adult life, things happen to me and I look around for the hidden camera, because seriously? THIS.CAN’T.BE.REAL.LIFE! I hope you read that with hand claps. My life could be a comedy, drama, at times an action, and I’m a walking chick flick. Maybe, that’s why I wasn’t usually phased the mentioning of houses being bugged, because my house should have had hidden cameras (yeah, I have also taken up satire).
Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because, just like my overly dramatic life, all good movies have a soundtracks. My soundtrack goes back to my favorite assignment given to me my freshman year in college. Pick 15 songs that you relate most to and write a paragraph about how you relate. I don’t still write about how they relate, but I still keep a rotating list of 15 songs that relate most to my life, now. Although, I could call it “Soundtrack to My Life,” the playlist is still called “My Life Sounds Like,” because that’s what the assignment was called.
Back in July of 2016, this was myplaylist. Miscarriage was still really new to me, and I was grieving in another way. I still have that playlist on my phone, and I listen to it when I am feeling down because this is not where my life should be and I am supposed to be a mom! I could have a 9 month old, and at times I get sad. I’m sad because I don’t get to raise my baby. I don’t have my family of 3. That’s not the man I married. So I listen to my playlist.
Other times, I am happy. I am proud.  I am healing. I’m moving on. But, I’m also sad. Here is my current playlist. Here I am. Here is what My Life Sounds Like (with no paragraphs, so you can fill in the story):
  1.  Save Myself by Ed Sheeran
  2.  Own It by Bailey Bryan
  3.  Again by Jessie Clark Funk
  4.  Good Girl Down by Angaleena Presley
  5.  Details in The Fabric ft. James Morrison by Jason Mraz
  6.  Dear Topanga by Taylor Ray Holbrook
  7.  A Little Dive Bar in Dahlonega by Ashley McBryde
  8.  Cheers To the Fall by Andra Day
  9.  Subway Car by Marc E. Bassy
  10.  Hymn by Kesha
  11.  The Dance by Garth Brooks
  12.  Save As Draft by Katy Perry
  13.  God Help Me by Plumb
  14.  No Such Thing as a Broken Heart by Old Dominion
  15.  Back to You ft. Bebe Rexha, Digital Farm Animals by Louis Tomlinson




And while listening to music is my mourning ritual, making my bed and having a cup of coffee is my morning ritual.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Used All the Black Crayon?

Guys, I am used to about 14 views each post. That's it (which is weird, because I post every blog link to my family's Facebook group and there are 40 of us in there... Thanks guys!). I was not expecting that many hits on one post, but I got it, and it has sparked a lot of conversation that I feel to be very productive. I have been so honored by the respect I have been given from those who’s opinions differ from mine, and the dialogue we have been able to have on the matter of race in today's society. Some of the best conversations have come from the, "But why?" question. But why is that offensive? On Facebook I shared this Vox link , so I won't get into that, but I do want to take some time to talk about taking offense. Life is a collection of experience. After one is written into our book, the next experience will be affected because of it. In kindergarten, I had a true Corrina, Corrina experience in class, when someone asked, "Who used all

PSA: You Didn't Win Halloween & Neither Did I

Last night my social media feed was filled with photos of friends attending their weekend parties in their Halloween costumes. There were a couple families and friend groups who were the cast of Napoleon Dynamite, a hilarious couple who went as their dogs, Curious George and the man in the Yellow Suite, and even Tess and Emily Tyler (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen from Billboard Dad). People are so creative when it comes to Halloween costumes! I am so not! But then I saw a couple’s costume I was so unbelievable uncomfortable with. alloween It was on Snapchat. Two people, one had painted himself brown to depict a character, a “hero” from a TV show we all watched in high school. Not just face painted, but arms, neck, chest. Then they added the chains. This, to that couple was a costume, but this also has a name, and that name is “blackface”. Minstrel shows started in the mid to late 19 th century, where white actors would paint their face to depict blacks on stage. The acto

VIDEO number 1!!

i know you all (that's pretty much just you Megan) are soooo excited to see this video! it is the best! PICTURE DAY haha... so he is just funny. he kinda talks in circles like me.. AND I LOVE WHEN HE FALLS OUT OF THE CHAIR! and that boy in his class? yeah he's just stupid! it's amazing!