Skip to main content

My Chiari Life: A Day in a Migraine

It's Saturday. It's also 7:25 am, and I'm awake. I have an extremely sharp golf ball sized pain right above my left eye, a dull achy pain in my neck, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to vomit any second.

I don't open my eyes. I instead quickly grab for my forehead with both hands and apply moderate pressure to both sides of my temples to release my sinuses. I know it's not my sinuses, but I just don't want it to be another migraine. I haven't had a migraine like this in so long. I wait for my sinuses to clear... 

Nothing.

Slowly, I open my left eye..... Then my right... They're back! Tiny bright lights dance within my vision. My orbie friends.

"Please be a dream, please be a dream!" I plead, knowing full well that in reality I am truly entering a day of nightmare, because going throughout a day with a migraine is just that. A nightmare.

At first I try to ignore it. Rub my neck, get some fluid flowing again. Then I decide to be medically proactive. 10 mg Maxalt, a meltaway tab that tastes like fruit and 4 mg of Zofran a minty melt. Always taken together and always regretted, chased with a glass of water and 10mg of Flexeril.

I decide to go back to bed. After all, no one is up yet, and it is now only 7:46 am.

10:30 am, and I wake up again. I'm grateful that I was able to sleep some more but it didn't help the pain too much. The orbies are gone, but I've got some extreme ear ringing.

When we were little, we used to turn the TV to a static black and white station and watch for what seemed like hours (it was probably 2 minutes). We would watch to see if the salt or pepper would win. That's what's going on in my body right now. The numbness and tingling of my fingers and toes- the battle between salt and pepper- and the ringing in my ears, the static accompaniment playing in the background. With each high pitch shrill, I can almost tell you who is winning. Pepper always won.

At 11:30 as we are getting ready to go to the game, I realize that maybe the nausea is actually because I still haven't eaten. I make some toast but then decide that maybe a 9 year olds football game isn’t the best idea for this much pain. A hot bath sounds better. I don't eat.

The hot bath definitely gets my cranial fluids flowing. A little too fast. I can feel the flow rush and hit my frontal lobe with each beat of my heart. They say your brain is the only organ in your body that doesn’t have pain receptors. They lie.

After the bath, I take another nap. Down and out for 4 hours, waking only a few times because my neck hurts so bad I have to readjust my pillows to hold my head up at just the right angle. At 4 my alarm reminds me that I had promised to be social tonight. Another 10 mg of Maxalt and 4 mg Zofran. I can do hard things.

Fake it ‘til you make it is my migraine’s motto to getting ready, so with a comfy sweatshirt paired with the perfect pair of jeans and some booties, I head to the bathroom for some makeup. Mascara and highlighter were made for days like this. Add a little bit of blush and bronzer, and – yup, as long as no one looks into those bloodshot eyes, no one will know.


We watch a movie at a friend’s house, and I take yet another nap, bringing my sleep total today to 19 hours, and it’s only 10 pm! As I arrive home, I take off my bronzer, do a quick change into some pajamas, and go straight to the medicine cabinet. 100mg Fioricet, 25 mg Promethazine, and 10 other pills I take just to get this migraine gone. And back to bed. I’ll try again in 16-18 hours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Used All the Black Crayon?

Guys, I am used to about 14 views each post. That's it (which is weird, because I post every blog link to my family's Facebook group and there are 40 of us in there... Thanks guys!). I was not expecting that many hits on one post, but I got it, and it has sparked a lot of conversation that I feel to be very productive. I have been so honored by the respect I have been given from those who’s opinions differ from mine, and the dialogue we have been able to have on the matter of race in today's society. Some of the best conversations have come from the, "But why?" question. But why is that offensive? On Facebook I shared this Vox link , so I won't get into that, but I do want to take some time to talk about taking offense. Life is a collection of experience. After one is written into our book, the next experience will be affected because of it. In kindergarten, I had a true Corrina, Corrina experience in class, when someone asked, "Who used all

PSA: You Didn't Win Halloween & Neither Did I

Last night my social media feed was filled with photos of friends attending their weekend parties in their Halloween costumes. There were a couple families and friend groups who were the cast of Napoleon Dynamite, a hilarious couple who went as their dogs, Curious George and the man in the Yellow Suite, and even Tess and Emily Tyler (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen from Billboard Dad). People are so creative when it comes to Halloween costumes! I am so not! But then I saw a couple’s costume I was so unbelievable uncomfortable with. alloween It was on Snapchat. Two people, one had painted himself brown to depict a character, a “hero” from a TV show we all watched in high school. Not just face painted, but arms, neck, chest. Then they added the chains. This, to that couple was a costume, but this also has a name, and that name is “blackface”. Minstrel shows started in the mid to late 19 th century, where white actors would paint their face to depict blacks on stage. The acto

VIDEO number 1!!

i know you all (that's pretty much just you Megan) are soooo excited to see this video! it is the best! PICTURE DAY haha... so he is just funny. he kinda talks in circles like me.. AND I LOVE WHEN HE FALLS OUT OF THE CHAIR! and that boy in his class? yeah he's just stupid! it's amazing!