Skip to main content

Not Just a Statistic


Yellow dasies with 3 giant Gerbera dasies right in the middle. And they weren't forget-me-nots, but close. They were purple on color ansade it complete. I don't think there could have been a better gift for me after hearing that she could not find the heart beat. 


You see, the gerberas remind me of my nephew. For his funeral we got giant orange ones. Yellow is G-Dawgs favorite color. Forget-me-nots are the flower in my mom's garden that helps me to remember Dillon is always with me. Watching and protecting. 

 I was with my cousins the morning after my grandma passed, and while we were upset, one of them asked their dad in a search for understanding, "So now instead of rocking us, Grandma is in heaven rocking Dillon and Manti?" 

Again, what a gift to receive, to remind me that my baby is in heaven with the 3 angels I love most and aspire to be. 


"I can.... I can't find the heartbeat." I wake up those words often. It is the worst nightmare a woman can have. And yet it was my reality. A reality similar to my sister's yet I never heard it's heart. 

And for that reason I told myself, "At least it happened early." Because that makes me feel like I am a lucky one. One who didn't get to bond with the wiggle worm inside me, one who didn't have a shower to welcome my bundle into the world, one who didn't get to know boy or girl... But it doesn't help. Just because I didn't hear it's heart doesn't mean it didn't steal my heart. That's my baby. 


When I finally got a positive pregnancy test, my body suggested that I was already 10 weeks pregnant. My ultrasound showed otherwise. "I don't see anything." That's what the first tech told me.  She threw out the words "ectopic pregnancy" while I wasn't in the room, but failed to.mention the cysts.  I was left to wonder was it a tubal pregnancy? Did I have cancer (not the first of my cancer might be's)? My doctor just kept saying "I think it is just to early." 

And too early it was because one week later we were back for a second ultrasound showing me to be just shy of 5 weeks.


 At 7 weeks I was experiencing all the symptoms, until I wasn't. I remember telling my mom and husband about how things didn't hurt anymore and that something had to be wrong. They reassured me that I was okay and reminded me not to compare my pregnancy to others. They were right. 

Because my doctor is so amazing she scheduled another ultrasound at 8.5 weeks. I remember being so excited because this is when I was going to hear my baby. 

Since I was young I've always wanted a tattoo of each child's first heartbeat somewhere descret on me. I know it breaks a commandment but I'm not the most obedient and justify tatoos of heartbeats all the time. Not to mention I hate unnecessary pain so I'm sure I would wimp out anyway. But hearing my baby's heartbeat would be the first draft of my first tattoo, and that is exciting. 

The measurememnts were not the easiest to get, but then again my baby was super tiny. It only measured 8 weeks instead of 8 weeks 3 days, but that's just an estimate. And then she said it. She said, "We aren't really supposed to give any results until the radiologist looks at this, but I don't want to leave you waiting an extra day to find out. I can..." She got choked up, about to cry. "I can't find the heartbeat."


My response was a very controlled and composed. "Okay, thank you." Not because I was in denial, but because I almost knew it was going to be said. Don't get me wrong I was super upset and bawled into my mom and husband's arms as soon as the tech left the room. It's just a motherly instinct I guess. 


It was a Monday. I allowed myself to be upset for 2 more days then went back to work. Anything to get my head off of it. But how can I forget that I don't get to have a baby when I am teaching other mom's babies? It didn't seem fair. Friday I got my D&C then Saturday I hosted my niece's 1st birthday party. 

She gives me hope. Alma gives me hope that when I find the rainbow through this storm, I will get to raise a beautiful human like her. 


I spent 6 weeks pregnant being so excited for the summer. The summer was when I got to prepare for my baby. Now the summer is here and I don't have a baby to prepare for. These last few days have been really hard, because on top of having no baby to prepare for, I also get to visit the resting places of some very important people in my life. 


Luckily, I have an amazing family and friends who support me. I have a husband who has been so thoughtful this week, allowing me to feel my emotions, yet reminding me that the best is yet to come. Our happily ever after is not yet, but on it's way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PSA: You Didn't Win Halloween & Neither Did I

Last night my social media feed was filled with photos of friends attending their weekend parties in their Halloween costumes. There were a couple families and friend groups who were the cast of Napoleon Dynamite, a hilarious couple who went as their dogs, Curious George and the man in the Yellow Suite, and even Tess and Emily Tyler (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen from Billboard Dad). People are so creative when it comes to Halloween costumes! I am so not! But then I saw a couple’s costume I was so unbelievable uncomfortable with. alloween It was on Snapchat. Two people, one had painted himself brown to depict a character, a “hero” from a TV show we all watched in high school. Not just face painted, but arms, neck, chest. Then they added the chains. This, to that couple was a costume, but this also has a name, and that name is “blackface”. Minstrel shows started in the mid to late 19 th century, where white actors would paint their face to depict blacks on stage. The acto

Who Used All the Black Crayon?

Guys, I am used to about 14 views each post. That's it (which is weird, because I post every blog link to my family's Facebook group and there are 40 of us in there... Thanks guys!). I was not expecting that many hits on one post, but I got it, and it has sparked a lot of conversation that I feel to be very productive. I have been so honored by the respect I have been given from those who’s opinions differ from mine, and the dialogue we have been able to have on the matter of race in today's society. Some of the best conversations have come from the, "But why?" question. But why is that offensive? On Facebook I shared this Vox link , so I won't get into that, but I do want to take some time to talk about taking offense. Life is a collection of experience. After one is written into our book, the next experience will be affected because of it. In kindergarten, I had a true Corrina, Corrina experience in class, when someone asked, "Who used all

I'm glad to be back...

So i love Pocatello very much!!! but here are some reasons i am glad to be back! (not in any order) 1. Although i wasn't in the Dorms last night, i heard there were 3 fire drils, thats right 3!, at 3 am. I mean really who wouldn't be glad to come back and be able to wake up to the most annoying screech in the world? 2. The really clean bathroom. Only on occasions (meaning once per day) do i walk into our bathroom to see crusty food in the sink and toilet paper rolls all over the floor. 3. Who doesn't enjoy being followed around by creepy guys who are extremely matchy matchy and still cant speak english? i mean i know i enjoy it! the best times are when your roommates look up and see them all looking at you and pointing! those are the highlight times of my week! 4.Yummy food. i mean REALLY this aint yo mom's home cookin! this stuff is full of lard... and no surprise it's what we had last week... yummmm... cereal anyone? 5. NO FLIP FLOPS or NO TOES. i seriously love m